Welcome to the start of another new school year. I hope that everyone in our school community had a great summer break. I want to thank our school community in advance for your understanding, patience and kindness as we navigate through another school startup.
Teachers and support staff are so excited to welcome everyone back to school, and are ready to teach and support our students. Our school communication plan highlights the procedures we have in place to support all Horton learners. Please take some time to review our school communication plan and reach out if you have any questions or concerns. School Communication Plan
Covid news for schools:
This year will start much like we ended last year, with students able to participate in a full range of learning and extra-curricular activities like assemblies, band, sports, and clubs. As always, AVRCE remains in close contact with Public Health and will continue to follow practices and procedures as needed to keep staff and students as healthy and safe as possible.
The province’s Back to School website – https://novascotia.ca/backtoschool– will contain links to current Public Health COVID-19 guidance. Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 will follow the guidance from Public Health. Staying home when feeling unwell continues to be a best practice for everyone.
September parent Orientation:
Our September parent orientation is scheduled for the evening of Wednesday September 21, more details will be released in an alert the week before the orientation. Our school communication plan and other school information will be reviewed and discussed, in particular how it relates to each individual course that your student is enrolled in. Horton’s wonderful student council will provide assistance in getting all parents to their proper location. The evening will begin in the performance center at 6:30 for orientation with school administration. Having a picture of your students schedule is very important, as we will follow the day 1 schedule, allowing you to see most teachers during the evening event. We will also have administration presentations of the parent portal and Google classroom.
Popular questions at the start of the school year
- Supply lists – Horton does not have a supply list for any classes. Students are asked to come to class with binders, paper, pens, and pencils.
- Student fee at Horton is $25.00. In a few days, I will send a separate alert regarding using SchoolCashOnline to send the 25.00 directly to our school. The fee is also payable by cash or cheque to the homeroom teacher during the first few days of school.
- School Buses – Please review the attached message regarding the Bus Planner / Routes sent to families in August by AVRCE . It is essential that you access this information before the first day of school to get bus pick up time(s) and location.
Nut Free Environment
A friendly reminder that Horton must maintain a nut free environment, in order to keep students safe while at school. Please review the attached poster that is displayed throughout our school.
Allergy Aware School Poster
Have a great year; reach out with any questions or concerns
As the school year progresses, we will keep our families informed. Horton High School takes great pride in its positive reputation as a quality school. I encourage all community members to promote our Expectations for Success:
- To be respectful of others.
- To use appropriate language.
- To attend all classes and to be on time.
- To put forth your best effort in class
- To have a positive attitude.